America Walks seeks a Communications Manager
DOWNLOAD PDF America Walks Communications Manager
DATE POSTED January 20, 2014
TITLE Communication Manager
EMPLOYMENT Start at 25 – 30 hours / week with opportunity for full-time employment
LOCATION Flexible, in USA from your home office
America Walks is seeking a dynamic professional to serve as the daily manager of communications for America Walks and the Every Body Walk! Collaborative. The position will manage all elements of communications, work to improve messaging to increase walking and improve walkability, and manage the Communication and Marketing work group of the Collaborative. This person will work from their home office, but must be a strong team player in order to collaborate with staff and organizational partners to grow the national walking movement and build awareness about the importance of walking and walkability among individuals and organizations. In 2014, the Communication Manager will also help promote of Office of the Surgeon General’s proposed Call to Action on Walking.
The Communication Manager will also support America Walks in raising additional funds to grow the capacity of the organization, including the potential of moving this position to full time. The Communication Manager will work report to the Executive Director of America Walks.
The Communication Manager will:
- Manage the development of an organizational communication strategy
- Manage the Every Body Walk! Collaborative Communication and Marketing work team and related activities
- Develop, write, and edit regular e-communications / newsletter targeted at donors and those on our mailing lists
- Compose Action Alerts and e-blasts
- Develop notices and announcements, such as webinar e-notices
- Work with staff to manage webinar and discussion forum logistics
- Manage and update Facebook and Twitter postings
- Manage and maintain www.americawalks.org and www.walksteps.org
- Develop press releases with staff as needed
- Track, post and push out media for walking-relating articles
- Improve America Walks’ presence nationally via electronic media and work to get AW into the media more frequently
- Reach out to individuals and partners to grow our data and funding base
- Work with staff to develop fundraising email and letter appeals
A qualified professional will have:
- Higher education and/or advanced training
- At least 4 years of related professional service
- Social media skills and experience
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to develop creative content
- Ability to maintain WordPress websites
- Demonstrated successful project management experience
Preferred candidate experience includes:
- Contract management experience, especially with communication firms
- Fundraising and development skills including individual and corporate donor recruitment and retention
- Grant writing skills
- Expertise in walking issues and related fields
The successful candidate must be a self-starter and able to work from a home office without daily supervision. Periodic travel as well as some weekend and evening work may be required.
The position offers a starting salary in the range of $40,000 -$55,000/year depending on experience. (This salary is based on full-time wages; the position starts at 25-30 hours per week.) Employee benefits include health premium payments and an office stipend for use of personal computer, internet and telephone. This employee will accrue paid time off based on number of hours worked and is eligible for holiday pay.
STARTING DATE : As soon as possible
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and two writing or work samples in one PDF file. The PDF file should be named as follows: [LastName_FirstName]_CommunicationManager.pdf. Ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text “Communication Manager.”
Email application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions can be directed to Susan Feldman, email@example.com
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled. We strongly encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Receipt of applications will be acknowledged with an email reply.
Organization Mission Statement
America Walks, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit national organization working to make America a great place to walk. We are the only national organization dedicated solely to building a diverse and powerful coalition to be a strong voice to advance and protect walking and walkability. We advocate for walking at the federal level and serve as a coordinator, information clearinghouse, and resource provider to build a national walking movement by supporting national organizations and local coalitions to lead walking campaigns.
America Walks is an equal opportunity organization with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional organization information can be found at www.americawalks.org.