On September 16, 2010, from 3 to 7 pm, America Walks in partnership with the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP) is convening organizations, agencies, and businesses at the Equal Footing Summit in Chattanooga, TN. Join us as we launch a National Walking Strategy. Work with us to build momentum for a more walkable America. Why now? Because 2010 is when:
- Congress passes a five-year transportation bill
- America focuses on childhood obesity
- You can make a difference!
In 2010 America Walks’ Equal Footing campaign will launch a National Walking Strategy and hold a one-day summit in order to achieve specific concrete outcomes, including:
- Make walking a national, state and local priority
- Unify policies, programs and strategies with a National Walking Strategy
- Convene and grow a strong base of support for walking
- Speak with one voice to make America more walkable
To achieve these outcomes, America Walks is building a base of sponsors and partners to participate in activities to build support for walking. Below are details on these activities that we hope you will support.
- Write the National Walking Strategy and Action Plan. Build on existing policy documents to unify public health, transportation, recreation, and economic development interests in a straightforward strategy and action plan.
- Convene and grow the Equal Footing Steering Committee to represent these diverse interests in
planning the Equal Footing Summit
- Convene the Equal Footing Summit to adopt the National Walking Strategy and plan next steps
- Select strategic next steps and plan for sustainability
In the run-up to Equal Footing summit, America Walks and APBP will lead the development of a National Walking Strategy that unites national, state, and local organizations, agencies, and businesses to speak with one voice for walking and walkability in America. We will secure financial sponsors and assemble a Steering Committee representing diverse interests to guide the strategic and policy components of the National Walking Strategy. Before the event, the Steering Committee will gather feedback and write a draft National Walking Strategy to be adopted and ratified by America Walks and partner organizations.
|The Family of Mrs. Neill L Miller|
Learn about becoming a summit sponsor