WelcomeAmerica Walks is a national resource which fosters walkable communities by engaging, educating, and connecting walking advocates. Support America Walks | Learn more >
Loading image rotator (requires Flash)
- Walking is Going Places.- New report from Jay Walljasper
- New York and Vision Zero- America Walks Executive Director Comments on Efforts of New York to Achieve Vision Zero Initiative
- Vision Zero for Cities Symposium- New York to Hold First Ever Symposium on Vision Zero Initiatives
- Walk With Us - 2013 America Walks Annual Report
- 2014 Survey Report - Local Walking Advocacy Organizations in the US
Upcoming Discussion Forums and Webinars
- Watch the recording of our most-recent webinar: The State of Advocacy Organizations in the US: The Scale and Scope of the Walking Movement
- Sign up on our mailing list to be notified of our FREE webinars and discussion forums!
- See our list of topics of previous webinars and forums.
- Find recordings of all of America Walks Webinar and Discussion Forums in our Archives
- November 18, 2014Walking is Going PlacesAs America Walks continues its commitment to promoting safe, convenient and accessible walking conditions, we see firsthand the trend to walking as part of developing physically and economically fit communities. America Walks is pleased to once again partner with Jay Walljasper, author and speaker, to be able to offer access to his latest report Walking is Going Places on our website. Read more >
- November 17, 2014Walkable Urbanism on the Rise Turning a metro space into a more walkable urban space, though costly, can reap benefits from economic growth to an increase in development. Walkable urban spaces have a higher amount of wealth and a larger number of college graduates than less walkable areas. Read more >
- November 16, 2014Day of Remembrance - November 16The World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims was celebrated today, as people took time to remember the millions killed and injured each year on the world's roads. It is a time to remember and to bring awareness to the serious issue of pedestrian safety. At America Walks, we are committed to promoting safe, convenient and accessible walking conditions for all. To learn more on the World Day of Remembrance, please click here.
- November 15, 2014New York and Vision Zero Imagine an airplane full of people falling from the sky every other day. That is the number of people killed in traffic fatalities, and yet little is being done to make the fundamental changes needed to solve this. No human being should ever be killed or injured in traffic — this is the core idea behind Vision Zero, a policy originated in Sweden and adopted by New York and other US cities with the goal of eliminating traffic deaths and serious injuries. But how can cities actually reach that objective? Read more >
- November 14, 2014Study Suggests Walking Prevents Cognitive DeclineA new study from the University of Kansas suggests that walking and walkable communities helps to prevent cognitive decline in people. In addition to the physical health benefits, safe and attractive walkable communities can help improve memory and other cognitive functions. The full report on the study can be found here.