WelcomeAmerica Walks is a national resource which fosters walkable communities by engaging, educating, and connecting walking advocates. Support America Walks | Learn more >
Loading image rotator (requires Flash)
- America Walks is hiring a Communications/Public Affairs Manager
- America Walks and WALC are sponsoring the Walking Institute at Pro Walk Pro Bike Pro Place, Sept 8-11. See our sessions.
- Uncontrolled Crossings National Task Force: Current Practices Survey, 2014 DOWNLOAD
Upcoming Discussion Forums and Webinars
- September 17 and 24 — re:Streets - re:Imagining re:Purposing and re:Constructing Our Most Valuable Public Spaces
- October 9 — The State of Advocacy Organizations in the US: The Scale and Scope of the Walking Movement
- Sign up on our mailing list to be notified of our FREE webinars and discussion forums!
- See our list of topic of previous webinars and forums.
- Find recordings of all of America Walks Webinar and Discussion Forums in our Archives
- September 8, 2014America Walks Fall NewsletterSee our Fall Newsletter and what we and others in the walking advocacy world have been up to. Check it out here!
- August 26, 2014New Case Study From America WalksAmerica Walks is rolling out a new series of case studies featuring how elected officials are working to make their communities more walkable and increase walking. See our first one: Making the Case for Lower Residential Speed Limits.
- August 13, 2014U.S. cities embrace "Vision Zero" to eliminate pedestrian fatalitiesThe Swedish-born Vision Zero approach to pedestrian safety is gaining momentum in U.S. cities, writes award-winning author Jay Walljasper. In a new article - A New Vision to Fix the Tragedy No One Ever Thinks About - Walljasper explores the pedestrian safety crisis in the U.S. and efforts underway to address it. More than 4,500 pedestrians are killed by motor vehicles on U.S. streets each year, while another 68,000 are injured, according to the National Complete Streets Coalition's Dangerous by Design report. Around the world, the crisis is more dire, with more than 270,000 pedestrians killed each year, according to a 2013 report by the World heath Organization. Read more >
- August 7, 2014America Walks Supports National Stop on Red WeekThis week, America Walks is supporting the National Stop on Red Week initiative sponsored by the National Coalition for Safer Roads. NCSR is partnering with organizations and communities across the country to raise awareness about the dangers of red-light running during National Stop on Red Week. Each day of the week is dedicated to different aspects of road safety, useful statistics and information, and messages from supporters. The NCSR website provides tools and resources useful to help promote National Stop on Red Week in local communities. For more information, you can write to: info@NCSRsafety.org.
- August 6, 2014Walking Institute To Be Featured at September Pro Walk Pro Bike Conference A new Walking Institute program track will be featured at this September's Pro Walk Pro Bike conference in Pittsburgh. America Walks developed the special walking track along with the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute. "The Walking Institute is six session track that will provide information and skills designed to organize, orient and promote walking and local walking advocacy efforts," the Pro Walk Pro Bike conference website announced. Topics that will be covered at the institute include lessons on walkability, steps to building a local walking movement, how to start a community project, selecting an engineer for a project, and creating programs to get people walking. Registration for the September 8-11 conference and the Walking Institute is open now and interested parties are urged to sign up soon.