Want the Tools to Create a Safe Crosswalk? America Walks is Giving Away Rectangular Rapid Flashing BeaconsCheck out the beacons by clicking here.
Because of the unique nature of this grant opportunity, applicants for this grant must meet specific criteria:
1. The applicant must be an existing community organization that has been working for safe streets or safe routes in their community.
2. The government with jurisdiction over the street must certify that it is prepared to accept and install the Beacons in the proposed location, including the ability to fund the installation of the beacons awarded through this grant. Your local jurisdiction will complete an Ownership Acceptance Form, as well as complete a Crossing Location Evaluation worksheet. Click here to access it.
Applicants should be aware that Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs) are just one way to create a safe crossing, and they are not suitable in all situations. For additional information on safe crossing options, please review these documents:
The ideal applicants will work or will have already worked, with their local jurisdiction on a project in which an RRFB is the appropriate safety enhancement. Carmanah is available to work with jurisdictions and applicants on all technical requirements for the system installation.
In addition to the criteria above, America Walks will look at the following project attributes:
1. It is in response to demonstrated community need
2. It has broad and diverse community support, based on intentional foundation of equity and authentic engagement of the whole community
3. It demonstrates a culture of inclusive design
4. It will enhance safety and lead to increased physical activity
5. It will serve a community that has a history of under-investment
6. It has been chosen after consideration of other crosswalk treatments, with this treatment being the most appropriate.
We are particularly interested in projects that center the concerns of BIPOC residents, reach across the demographics of communities to build coalitions, and/or create unique civic partnerships with new perspectives.
Applications open March 25th, 2021 and are due through submission of this form by May 31,2021 at midnight Pacific time. No applications will be accepted after this end date.