How Adopting Intelligent Speed Assistance Can Make Your Community a Better Place to Walk
Speeding is a major cause of deaths and serious injuries on American roadways. Governments have a unique opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to safety by retrofitting their vehicle fleets to follow the speed limits that they themselves set! Intelligent speed assistance (ISA), is a commercially available technology to retrofit vehicles to helps drivers maintain posted speed limits. It is a proven technology already in use in some government and commercial fleets. It is also required on all new cars in Europe. It is a tool that goes beyond the familiar, and often insufficient, tactics to reduce speeding – and is worth considering given the dramatic rise in pedestrian deaths.
With this webinar America Walks and its partners are launching the Safer Fleets Challenge to encourage cities and towns to start installing ISA on their fleets. Join our panelists to learn about the safety and environmental benefits of ISA, the results of real-world examples where fleets have adopted ISA, and how you can successfully advocate for your community’s fleets to get on board with the Safer Fleets Challenge.
Who should be interested?
- Local community groups and organizations supporting Vision Zero, safer streets programs, and reductions in carbon emissions.
- Local government elected and agency officials who want to make a demonstrable commitment to a Vision Zero pledge or road safety initiative, reduce carbon emissions, and save taxpayer dollars by reducing fuel use.
Webinar participants should leave the webinar with increased understanding of the following:
- What is intelligent speed assistance and how it works to help drivers travel safely by maintaining posted speed limits.
- An overview of the safety and environmental benefits of adopting ISA for fleets.
- Tips and tactics for convincing public fleet operators to retrofit their vehicles with ISA.
- Insights from communities where fleets have adopted ISA and how it contributes to making better places to walk.
- How to incorporate ISA into your community’s plans to make streets safer.
- Examples of resolutions, ordinances, and executive actions that you can employ with your local decision-makers.
Watch Our Previous Webinar
Like all of our webinars, this will be recorded and available after the fact. But you’ll want to join us in real-time if you can for the opportunity to ask questions of our guests and live-tweet along with us. You’ll also receive ample resources and additional materials if you RSVP.